Monday, August 12, 2013

Portraits with Laurie


A weekend with Laurie Johnson at the Redwood City Art Center - We painted from a model, starting with a value study and then painted in full color. Staring intently to identify the subtle color and value shifts wasn't too different compared to painting from a photo reference, thought getting the likeness was more difficult. I am stilll working on getting the values and temperatures right. I did learn to look for the planes in the face. The John Asaro head at the studio was very helpful. This painting was done on a PVC sheet textured with one round of sanding - the smooth surface makes the paint glide and the colors look brighter. I am not sure if I like it just yet. Laurie is a wonderful artist and a highly spirited person. It has been fun painting with her, and I look forward to learning more from her.

4 comments:

Would love to hear your thoughts !